Wednesday 21 March 2007

Shins: Wincing The Night Away - Album Review

I'll admit firstly that I have not heard much of the earlier Shins music. But based on the good words I have heard from friends and fellow bloggers about them, I got this album.

To be honest at first, it just seemed like alternative-rock-pop and annoyingly so. The reason for my late review is that it was slowly becoming a likable album and I thought I'd let the process get near completion before passing judgement.

The album opener Sleeping Lessons is a very simple looped keyboard with James Mercers distorted voice over it before building up with more layers into an explosive finish. About half-way through is where it starts for me. This is followed by Australia, a very upbeat, pop-rock tune with has all the right ingredients.

One of the let-downs of the album is the next song: Pam Berry. It sounds like the Dick Dale track (Misirlou) from Pulp Fiction. It's less that a minute long incidentally.

Sealegs is another disappointing song. It sounds like a George Michael/Justin Timberlake pop song and unfortunately this grates. If you can get over the fake beats it's an alright track.

All in all the album meanders along nicely with it's pop beats and catchy lyrical intonations and riffs and is a worthwhile addition to a music collection.

There is no stand-out track or song that I am in love with. My reaction to it is similar to Belle & Sebastian's release The Life Pursuit. Great band, musically and lyrically very good, but an album that passes without too much comment either good or bad.

The final song Comet Appears is beautiful. Simple, poetic, and the best song on the album.



1. Sleeping Lessons
2. Australia
3. Pam Barry
4. Phantom Limb
5. Sealegs
6. Red Rabbits
7. Turn On Me
8. Black Wave
9. Split Needles
10. Girl Sailor
11. Comet Appears

Shins website: www.theshins.com/
Myspace Page: www.myspace.com/theshins

No comments:

Google