Saturday 18 November 2006

I'm From Barcelona: Let Me Introduce My Friends - Album Review

This 29 piece, child-like Swedish group have produced a pop album that is layered in unashamedly happy sing-along tunes to brighten the worst of days. I know that sounds cheesy, but this band manages to make it acceptable to be like a kid.

From the first track Oversleeping, which starts with an alarm clock and someone turning it off to the energetic line "Daaamn, oversleeping again". The riffs are upbeat and the chorus infectious.

I saw this band live in September and there were "only" 22 of them on stage. The lead singer was wearing a New Kids On the Block cap and they were all jumping around on stage singing. They sure woke us up at 12am!

Then there is "Collection of Stamps" a song about stamps from different countries of the world. The chorus is "You know I can't believe I'm telling everyone that I know, that every stamp in my collection is a place we could go"

Having heard a few of their songs live, I was intrigued and bought their album. I was expecting their live tracks to be the highlights of the album, but I was amazed at the pure life they excude on the whole album. Every band member contributes with an instrument or two and they ALL sing. With horns, glockenspiel, an omnichord, ukulele and skull shakers, the sound produced is rich and uplifting.

One of the final songs The Saddest Lullaby is about a little kid not knowing what is happening and being confused and sad. At the end of the song, you find out the kid who "fell asleep and wet my bed." This is the slowest track on the album.

Overall, listening to this album in the morning will start your day well and give you a lift on the way to work, will brighten your life and you will be better for it.


I'm From Barcelona website: www.imfrombarcelona.com
Myspace Page:
www.myspace.com/imfrombarcelona

No comments:

Google